A pair of former winners were honored again Oct. 2 when Cody Ohl’s horse, Big Smokin Wonder (Pearl), was named 2013 AQHA/PRCA Horse of the Year in tie-down roping and Dan Fisher’s steer roping horse, Larneds Ricoche Doc (Woody), shared the honor with Scott Snedecor’s Olee Roberto (Major).
Woody shared the award in 2008 and won it outright in 2009. Pearl was also honored in 2009.
Ohl gave credit to Pearl for his win at the Justin Boots Championships in Omaha, Neb., last weekend.
“My little mare, Pearl, was sensational,” he said.
Ohl said he’s had “a phenomenal” three months and that Pearl is “probably 75 percent of it.” On July 1, Ohl was 35th in the world standings with $14,610. He was third in the Oct. 1 final regular-season world standings with $94,943.
Wade Sumpter’s horse, Speedy Faila (Two Guns), was named top performer in steer wrestling. Sumpter has had three of the last four awards for steer wrestling Horse of the Year come from his trailer, as Wick earned the honor in 2010-11.
The complete list:
1. Lucy’s Fast Jewel (Jewel), owner Brandon Beers. 2. Hickory Quick Bar (Patron), owners Chuck and Charly Crawford. 3 (tie). Woody Oar Not (Woody), owner T.J. Davis Ranch. Rappers Ruff Stuff (Rudy) owner Arky Rogers.
1. CD Starbucks (Starbucks), owner Ryan Motes. 2 (tie) Rey Shines On Top (Rey), owner Brady Minor. Sunday Night Bingo (Amigo), owners Patrick and Christy Smith
1. Big Smokin Wonder (Pearl), owner Sid Miller. 2. Okies Interception (Muenster), owner Mark Thiel. 3. Big Smokin Otoe (Topaz), owner Circle Star Land & Cattle.
1. Larneds Ricoche Doc (Woody), owner Dan Fisher. Olee Roberto (Major), owner Thomas Snedecor. 3. HK Bossy Blue (The Hulk), owner The H K Ranch
1. Speedy Faila (Two Guns), owners Wade Sumpter and Chris Morrow. 2. French Wonder (Ote), owners James and Savanah Reeves. 3. Landrys Cadillac (Cadillac), owner Frank Sterling Wallace.
1. Flos Heiress (Babyflo), owner Dian Taylor. 2. Slick by Design (Slick), owners Charlie Cole and Jason Martin. 3. Perculatin (Latte), owner Walker & Cogburn LLC.